It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Arduino Starter Kit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 pm 

Question for the Arduino knowledgeable:

What would be a good basic set of components to get an Arduino-enthusiast-to-be? With gift-giving holidays coming up, I'd love to know what kind of hardware you would want in an ideal Arduino set for new folks.

While I am looking mostly for a basic set, I'd also be interested in hearing about the not-so-basic stuff that makes for exciting projects :)

Post subject: Re: Arduino Starter Kit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 pm 

Arduino Uno (Sparkfun, Adafruit, etc), don't get the fake chinese ones on eBay with bad regulators!

Resistors:
1,000 (1k)
10,000 (10k)

LCD Screen:
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LiquidCrystal
Purchase:
http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=957
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/255
(both are the same, Sure will tack on $1-2 shipping/item, make sure you get 5V screens!)

Couple of potentiometers
Servo
Piezo element
Breadboard
Breadboard wires (Adafruit)
Maybe a shield or two? (pricey)

Of course you could just buy the kit, Sparkfun and other online resellers sell something comparable - you can build it for much cheaper and all the other resources are free online (paper things, etc)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 pm 

Awesome, thank you!

(anyone else with input is still highly encouraged to add your 2 cents!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 pm 

This is waaay after christmas, but i just joined the forum and couldn't help myself.

I got a starter kit from eBay that included the Dueillm., a LED display, wires, LEDs, speaker, buttons, and breadboard. I was very pleased with the starter kit. The only thing it lacked was a variety of resistors. It only came with one type (which is only helpful for a small number of projects). Luckily, they're not too expensive and available at Radioshack.

I also purchased the Make book on Intro to Arduinos. This book doesn't have anything that the website doesn't, but I wanted a physical book to read for once.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:06 am 

That's a neat list, and a good start. Depending on who many of your first members are, they may or may not have machine shop access elsewhere (the University, at work, etc). You may consider looking at tools that are harder to find or borrow. I have a laser cutter in mind specifically, but other stuff falls in that category.

Question about liability: you'll be allowing people to handle potentially dangerous equipment. No waiver can eliminate a person's right to sue (this is America, after all). Will Sector67 carry liability insurance? I'd think it would be a must-have, and it may impact what tools you have, or what training is available (or not).

Personally, I'd concentrate on small hand tools until you've got a cash flow. You mentioned an air compressor; will there be air tools? An air grinder and Dremel-like devices would be slick. An actual Dremel (or a dozen) would also be good to have, along with hand drills, maybe a router, saber saw, power sander(s), propane or MAPP torches, various clamps and fixtures and sturdy vises on the workbenches (don't forget the soft jaws).

Do you want wood shop capability? A radial arm saw and/or table saw allows construction with plywood and 2x4s, which are good for making big things on a budget.

My dream shop would have the aforementioned laser cutter (good for 16 ga stainless sheet) and some time of rapid prototyping device, preferably an FDM that can shoot polycarbonate. Welding apparatus for steel, stainless and aluminum would be slick. A vacuum former for thin PC sheet could be pretty cool, especially when combined with FDM-made forms.

Lots to consider. Shop carefully, and stay solvent, will you! I hope to see you in business in 5 years.

006-002 006-002

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]