It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: CNC Build Logs (lookin for)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:15 pm 

I'm new to cnc builds and I'm look for a simple build to get a start on understanding the mechanics and also the program behind it. My intentions is to start small, then work my way up to bigger and better cnc machines. Currently, the material I want to work with is just wood, possibly acrylic at some point.

I know a few people here have working cnc's and was wondering if they had a build log(step by step) and a parts and suppliers.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: CNC Build Logs (lookin for)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:14 am 

We've got two machines in the space. One is a complete repstrap and the other is a fully fabricated plywood machine in need of a reconstruction and electronics. The intention for the second one was to use plywood and parallel rods to have a 3 axis machine controlled by parallel port and EMC2, but the plywood ends up shifting so much from humidity that it's utility is very limited. You could talk to Jon and see if you guys would partner to rebuild it and finish the electronics :-)

Otherwise I know there is someone else in the Madison area with a ~3ft x ~3ft router that also needs to be dusted off after sitting idle for about 5 years, I've been trying to convince him to bring it into the space and find a few people to help him get it working but I'm still nagging him :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am 

Im amazed the plywood would shift so much. From what I have been seeing, acrylic, alum, and wood or mdf seem to be the most popular. I have seen a few designs that I linked below. Can the existing cnc's be used to fabricate parts and what materials?

http://www.diylilcnc.org/
http://buildyourcnc.com/DesktopCNCMachineKitblueChick.aspx

I have also been reading that you can find stepping motors in old printers. Are these adequate enough for build a cnc? I could probably find enough from old printers or have someone I know from best buy keep an eye out for old printers that people discard.

Also I have noticed you can save a great deal if you make your own controller (around $30). I have seen the price of buying one to be 80-200.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/06/21/home-made-cnc-machine/

I am currently interested in starting up a cnc build but I am looking at keeping the costs down. Since I am also new to cnc, I am also looking for a well documented project. Right now though, I am just trying to get enough info to estimate cost and weigh decisions like what materials to use and generate a parts list. The design itself is another thing I need to figure out.

I would be interested in possibly rebuilding/finishing your existing one with someone as long as the design or another design can be replicated after that one is finished as my main goal is to have one at home since i plan to use it often.

Anymore info/links would be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 am 

Shameless plug, but I think there will be a few printers at S67 later on this afternoon ... if I have time to get them all loaded up.

I think it would look great if you used something like clear acrylic or walnut as the build material. Or both. Nothing says a machine can't look good!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am 

lol. walnut - with detailed trim stained with a nice finish.

Yes, it would look nice but want the functionality first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 am 

Just saw this. I wonder if Mr. Heckendorn himself knows about sector 67? (Does he still live in Madison, or has he gone hollywood on us?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnmMNrB_y54&list=SL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:44 pm 

I seem to recall reading he mived a few miles north of town, but I was just thinking about him myself. That would be pretty awesome if he would be up for teaching a class/giving a lecture here and there.

I sure as Heck (har, har) know I would be attending!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm 

I had bugged Ben when we were just getting started, he said he was too busy to be working on anything but I now see that he's posted a couple of projects (and started a video series) since.

If anyone out there knows him I would suggest reminding him again that this exists :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 am 

What about a "letter writing campaign" of sorts? Take a few simple words (like "come see us!" or "To: Ben From: Sector67") and replicate it in as many forms as possible. Here's a few ideas I came up with in the past few minutes:

Etch it into a PCB (bonus if you make an actual circuit out of the letters)
Make a POV display, have the words scrolling across it
Make the letters with a RepRap (maybe in cursive?)
Mill it into wood/steel/whatever, maybe even hammer in some brass or gold inlay to fancy it up

Step 2: Document all this on video.

Step 3: Share with all who may care.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 pm 

Ive recently completed a ~3 year long (nights/weekends) home (metal) cnc build, and id love to talk shop sometime! Ive really been looking for an excuse to throw all the docs and pictures together too. Total project cost was ~$1500. including commercial motor controller, and software, and supporting tools/starting tooling. best I can tell it has the capabilities of a $5000 out-of-the-box machine. and its truly about as small as you would want to bother constructing. (millable area ~3.5x7.5x4) http://picasaweb.google.com/jkerman/CNC ... 1020747106

I started as "nerd with no metalworking tools, moderate electronics experience, and almost zero shop experience" and have blundered and stumbled my way through it all mostly by myself. would be great to pass on some tips!
ill do a little writeup in the near future

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]