Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Printers. A bunch of 'em.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm 

If anyone is looking for printers, I have:

1 HP Laserjet 4000
3 HP Lasetjet 4050tn
1 HP Laserjet 4100tn
1 HP Laserjet 4250tn

All have seen moderate use in an office environment, and all are free to a good home. I work at a law firm, and we have upgraded from these models a long time ago. I've pretty much been given the go-ahead to get rid of them by any means necessary, and nobody else seems to want them.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Post subject: Re: Printers. A bunch of 'em.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 pm 

Hmm, not letting me PM you right now... I'd be interested in one with networking (looks like all/most of them do). I've been using a Laserjet 1100 connected to a machine with CUPS for years, would be nice to finally have something with built-in networking. See if you can PM me.

Fersla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 pm 

Interesting.

I thought I saw a PM option before, but I'm not seeing it now. I am either mistaken, or we don't have enough posts to PM. I've seen it on a few sites, it helps keep the bots at bay.

Either way, all the printers I have were attached to our printer LAN at one point in time, so the network ports on all of them are good. I would steer you clear of the 4250tn, unless you're looking to pick up a swing plate assembly as well. Aside from that, it's a perfectly functional printer... it's just really, really loud.

Let's go by email for now. I'll give you my gmail account: h.a.k.t.h.i.s minus all the periods.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 pm 

Are these all laser jet printers? Aren't those the ones that use the toner cartridges?
Also are these only for lan?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:16 am 

Every one I have is a laserjet printer, and all of them use toner cartridges. One of the 4050tn's was a check printer, so it has a MICR cartridge and a stick of RAM that was flashed with extra fonts. I see no problem in giving away the MICR cartridge (google is your friend if you don't know what the difference is) because you can buy them yourself, but the fonts will not as some of them are trademarked by my place of business.

Along with LAN, I have had decent luck in getting these printers to work with a USB to Parallel cable. These generally run between $20-$40 at RadioShack, but you can probably find (or make) them cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:30 am 

Oh well sorry I can't pick one up. I just found out that no one in my family needs a printer.
Even with two siblings in college.
However I hope you manage to find loving homes for your printers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 am 

Sector67 needs a single black and white laser with cheap toner (or loads of toner left in it) for printing circuits to toner transfer to copper clad boards. I've got two nice HP 2550's that are full color out there, but we need a plain-Jane black and white to make sure transfers work (http://dorkbotpdx.org/blog/laen/experimenting_with_toner_transfer)

Any chance the cartridges/image drums are interchangeable between all of the 4*** and 41**'s?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:25 am 

Quote:
Any chance the cartridges/image drums are interchangeable between all of the 4*** and 41**'s?

No, that would be FAR too easy :lol:

The 4000 and the 4050 take the same, but the 4100's are different. All of them have toner cartridges in them that are varying degrees of full, but there is a plus side: all of them are high yield, so you'll get the equivalent of a few thousand extra pages. I was digging around our supply room today, and found four brand new cartridges (2 for 4000/4050, 2 for 4100) that should all be high yield.

Since we don't need the printers anymore, we won't need the toners, either. They are also available to whomever takes the printer(s).

As far as the 4250 is concerned, it will never see production in our environment again. It still functions as a printer, but we do a lot of high volume work here. I know there should be some good parts to be had from it, and I would much rather see some of it get used instead of all of it getting trashed. Extra toner (above and beyond the cartridge already installed) will not be included with this printer, as we have others in production that use the same cartridge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

If you want, just bring all 4 out to the space with the toner cartridges, we can set them up, experiment with which ones have good toner (that work's for transfer, sometimes the cheapie refills don't stick very well) and whatever is left we can give away from there to get them out of your livingroom/desk at work :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:15 pm 

How about all six ;)

I'm going to have just shy of 70 computers coming in within the next month (we're migrating to Win7) so I could use all the space I can get.

Even if these just get hacked up for parts (which I'm sure will happen to at least one or two) at least they're being used for something.

Is there any time specifically I can drop by? I should be free to load these up any time after 5 tomorrow, so I could be there by around 6. Today is no good, but basically any other day works for me.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next