It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Equipment for the Space
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:01 am 

Please post equipment you'd like to see/use in the space at 2100 Winnebago. We have 3phase 240V, 1phase 240V, 1phase 120V so we can power pretty much anything out there.

CNC mill and/or mill with DigitalReadOut (DRO) (at a minimum)
metal lathe with DRO
floor mount belt sander (usually have a disc sander as well), bench mount would be alright for now
Band saw - bigger the better, blade welder would be great too
TIG Welder (I have a cheap MIG we can use for now
Chop saw (abrasive metal cutting saw)

Post subject: Re: Equipment for the Space
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:37 pm 

That's a neat list, and a good start. Depending on who many of your first members are, they may or may not have machine shop access elsewhere (the University, at work, etc). You may consider looking at tools that are harder to find or borrow. I have a laser cutter in mind specifically, but other stuff falls in that category.

Question about liability: you'll be allowing people to handle potentially dangerous equipment. No waiver can eliminate a person's right to sue (this is America, after all). Will Sector67 carry liability insurance? I'd think it would be a must-have, and it may impact what tools you have, or what training is available (or not).

Personally, I'd concentrate on small hand tools until you've got a cash flow. You mentioned an air compressor; will there be air tools? An air grinder and Dremel-like devices would be slick. An actual Dremel (or a dozen) would also be good to have, along with hand drills, maybe a router, saber saw, power sander(s), propane or MAPP torches, various clamps and fixtures and sturdy vises on the workbenches (don't forget the soft jaws).

Do you want wood shop capability? A radial arm saw and/or table saw allows construction with plywood and 2x4s, which are good for making big things on a budget.

My dream shop would have the aforementioned laser cutter (good for 16 ga stainless sheet) and some time of rapid prototyping device, preferably an FDM that can shoot polycarbonate. Welding apparatus for steel, stainless and aluminum would be slick. A vacuum former for thin PC sheet could be pretty cool, especially when combined with FDM-made forms.

Lots to consider. Shop carefully, and stay solvent, will you! I hope to see you in business in 5 years.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:26 pm 

Laser cutter would be awesome and it's up on my list too but they're soooo expensive to get something that will actually cut steel.

We do have:
Acetylene torch
Plasma torch
Couple grinders
Couple drills
Hand tools
Air Compressor and air tools
Lots of electronics tools

I'll be picking up wood this week for desks/workbenches - anybody have a cool design/idea that's not the typical box construction workbench?

I'm building a RepRap, it's working as a CNC dremel currently, I have to finish building the hot end (like a small glue gun) and we should be able to make stuff out of ABS and PLA.

Vacuum former is on my list of things to create, there was someone (sorry, I can't remember your name!) at a meeting who was building Daft Punk helmets that had a homebuilt vacuum forming machine.

Insurance wise, we're required to carry: general liability 1M, Property damage 2M and 2M commercial umbrella insurance. And yes, unfortunately even with $2,500 worth of legal paperwork (membership and liability agreements waiving your life in your own and the hands of others) the insurance companies base their premiums on the *chance* of being sued, not on the actual chance of the lawsuit coming to fruition for the person doing the suing :-(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:42 pm 

Couple more tools we could use:

Arbor press (and/or hydraulic stand up press)
Sheet metal break
Sheet metal shear
Sheet metal roller
Parts washer
Spot welder
Belt sander
Hammer drill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:19 pm 

I know this thread is kind of old, and I'm new here, but I'd like to offer what assistance I can. I've got a variety of sets of instructions/specs for constructing some of the equipment on your wish list that you can make with things you already have. Including spot welders, various types of CNC type machines, plastic formers and the like. I currently lack some of the component electronics skills needed to make the more elaborate CNC setups, but see from forum posts your member base isn't short on skills. I'd be interested in helping with what skills I have and hopefully learning some I don't while helping increase the diversity of your fab-shop. Let me know how I can help. PS: Paul referred me to your site.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]