It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: FTDI USB->Serial Converter Breakouts
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:07 pm 

I need some help putting together some USB to serial programming cables with the FTDI chips (used on Arduinos) so we can get some programmers ready for Madison BAR camp and to start doing Arduino classes for S67.

If you're interested let me know, no experience necessary, it's much more fun to build these with a few people around learning how to do it rather than me just turning the crank and making them :-)

I'm also thinking about building about 5 ATX power supplies for S67 benches, I have the supplies (ATX box, banana jacks, wire, wood, etc), we'd just need to figure out how to mount them and work from there.

Post subject: Re: FTDI USB->Serial Converter Breakouts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:00 am 

Count me in!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:15 am 

I can also help .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 am 

Chris - are these the converters you want to build ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180493947921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I could just buy a few if it would save the trouble. I have one I got a few weeks ago if we need to try it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:49 am 

That USB->Serial adapter should work perfectly. A couple of people have tried using them and judging by the comments on Arduino.cc it works, doesn't have a unique identifier per adapter so you can't use more than one at once (not a problem for our application) and on a per-chip basis the cost isn't any lower than the FTDI chips, but e-bay direct from China looks like it's plenty cheap to buy a pile of them.

Also found that Sparkfun hosts their own drivers for it that support MacOS, which was another complaint online.

So I'll buy about 10 of those and we can etch boards for the FTDI adapter's anyways since I've got the chips, timeline on this at the earliest will be shortly after July 14th. We'll need to get a board layout done in Eagle, which will basically entail taking the Arduino board and chopping all of the parts out besides the usb->serial adapter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:47 pm 

The place I linked those usb adapters shipped out pretty fast - I think I got them in less than two weeks.

I guess I don't understand the project that you need to do right away ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 am 

I picked up 10 of the chinese USB->TTL adapters, we should be able to get everything working with those once they arrive. I'll talk about this at the August meeting and we'll figure out a timeline to get these done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:06 pm 

Alright, the 10 USB->TTL CP2102 Converters arrived direct from China. I'll be heading out to SWAP on 08/20/10 to pick up at least 15 USB cables from SWAP to hook up to these adapters.

Next up we need to lay out in EagleCAD a ATMEGA328, oscillator, reset button, and a couple of pull up resistors with output headers to plug into a breadboard (ordered 10 of them from MPJA)

I'd like to do this sometime this week, the EagleCAD layout and hopefully etch a few test boards, I have enough parts to build/test at least 5 of the boards already here. Anybody free this week after 5pm?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:49 pm 

I could help work on this after 4pm on either Wednesday or Thursday this week. I'm on campus at 4pm, but if that is too early, I can come back down later in the evening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:25 pm 

Wednesday (August 11th) at 5pm looks like the winner, if anyone else is interested shoot me an e-mail and I can let you know where we're at specifically, we'll likely be in the basement of the engineering research building (tall one) etching a couple test boards.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]