It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Sector 67 Vision / Objectives
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

What's your vision for what Sector67 should be?

Do you want/need a place to work on projects?

What kind of projects (wood, metal, electronics, software, automotive . . .)?

What are you willing to pay in exchange for what resources?

Would you be interested in building a local "storefront" for electronics or materials to buy in bulk to save costs?

What kind of tools are you interested in using as a community? Mill? Lathe? CNC? Welding? Laser? Rapid Prototype? . . .

Ultimately Sector67 can be a hackerspace or a community of people or just a forum for geeks in the Madison area, what do you want to build?

Post subject: Re: Sector 67 Vision / Objectives
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:39 pm 

I think having a hackerspace in Madison would be awesome. I'm not 100% sure its big enough to support one, but there would probably be a lot of student interest.

Personally, I'm most interested in 3D fabrication, but having a place to go to learn various maker skills and access tools (especially things like lasercutters and lathes that I'd love to have but aren't nearly worth the price) for all sorts of different projects would be good.

I'd be willing to pay a membership fee. I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay, but I'd be pretty flexible depending on the facilities available.

But even if sector 67 just winds up being a forum for Madison geeks, makers, and techies I'd be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 pm 

I agree with wstrinz. I think a lot of hackerspaces are having a hard time keeping a physical place open, but a physical place is important for shared items as well. Maybe we can get a room once a month from the U (or somewhere) to put on small classes. I can teach soldering including surface mount, basic electonics, op-amps, motors, etc.

I'd also like to have a monthly coffee shop meeting of some type. With enough interest, it can be bi-monthly. It's a free meeting space until people actually are building things. I would propose monday nights, maybe 6-8? I'm on the east side, but somewhere near campus would likely be best.

We could even arrange field trips to things like Maker Faire (Detroit is planning one), the Surplus store in Chicago, or something like that.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:28 pm 

Mondays are bad for me (of course), I could easily do Wednesday or Thursday, otherwise typically hackerspaces run on Tuesday nights since all nights of the week suck equally for everyone :-)

I'm working on space (more on that later) and large equipment (mill/lathe), I'd like to have something worked out by the June/July timeframe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 am 

I have to agree that the site is the hardest thing to start up.
I'd be willing to spend 50 to 100 dollars a month depending on the resources and needs. That amount is what I have seen from other spaces member fees. Personally I suspect Madison is large enough to support a physical space.
I think we have to build facilities the members are interested in and see where it can go.

Personally my interests are in contributing to larger projects without having to spend all the time and money myself.
I'm currently working on 3d scanning software, and setting up my own garage shop. I have a mini mill I've converted to cnc and wood shop stuff.

I have access to a lot of scrap materials from work ( Plexiglas, wood, vinyl) .
I have a lot of equipment that would be useful for a site.
Phone systems and phones. Air compressor. Wireless routers. Network switches and cat 5e cable.
- I would be interested contributing to building a CNC or a 3d printer.

Coffee shop meetings work for me. Monday -Thursday is ok. Tuesday is best.
I work north east and head south west so central is functional.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:19 pm 

I would be very interested, and willing to volunteer my time to help. Actually stumbled on this while doing research about starting one myself. My craft hobbies include just about anything, wood steel, stone, vehicular or whatever I'm in the mood for. Living in an apartment, I am unable to fulfill these needs. I've talked with friends and have found a handful that love the idea. A membership seems like the way to go. Hourly could work too though, especially for vehicles. Consumables, such as grinding belts, bits, sandpaper and such, might not work financially unless sold at the establishment. Buying in bulk perhaps.

Keeping an eye on this...

Need any help, let me know

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 pm 

I'm excited to see a local group starting up. I am definitely envious of NYCResitor and Noisebridge. I am pretty swamped at the moment, but could meet over spring break or during summer break. Meeting in a free spot and getting know local people would be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am 

hello - not sure if this is the correct place to post this or if this thread is even still being monitored but, here goes...

i read about your enterprise on the isthmus [i'm a former wisconsin boy] and have some questions related to the start-up process and some more specific inquiries about the organization and development of the project: can anyone tell me if there's a specific person or email address i should direct these questions? for now, i'm just going to post some here:

first of all, a little background on me and why i'm asking these questions: i'm living in wheeling, wv where i work as a grant writer for a homeless shelter. before starting this job, i studied historic preservation and worked as a restoration carpenter for a few years - as a result, one of the ideas i've been developing is the idea of an architectural salvage or deconstruction company which could provide some employment and jobs training for our clients, in addition to just being an excellent way to keep material out of landfills and make salvage available. [if you're familiar with habitat for humanity Re-Stores, that's the sort of idea.]

one of the big barriers to getting started has been locating a suitable space for such a business - we don't have the money to just go out and buy anything at open-market prices but we're also aware of a lot of abandoned or vacant property which would suit our purposes. so my first question is whether you folks explored any sort of creative approaches to securing your property and what the specific steps you took involved. [if you just went out and bought a warehouse without any trouble, feel free to skip to my next question.]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:58 am 

You'll want to e-mail team@sector67.org

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]