It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: RepRap
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm 

I'm starting a reprap project, so I'd like to start a general discussion of the topic here.

I still need to pick an extruder assembly (Makerbot is sold out) and a motherboard.

Of course, once it is running, it will be available for people to print things, if they buy the plastic.

Post subject: Re: RepRap
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 pm 

I have stepper motors and precision rod/bearings waiting for me to combine them to get a CNC table started. I have another friend who's building the stepper drivers for his build in progress (also in Madison), I'm waiting until he gets the board finalized and running and then I'll probably get in gear to get the build platform assembled.

For now I'm going for a CNC router/dremel/laser (2W for vinyl/paper cutting) set up before I try to add the extruder.

I have the capability to etch circuit boards if you just need to get a board etched, I can do double sided with pretty small features (0.5mm pitch is fine)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:17 pm 

yea, i started with about the same stuff as waterppk (steppers, rods), and i've built most of my little cnc router. right now the biggest thing left is electrical and control. i've got a laptop running emc2 on linux (http://linuxcnc.org/) for the main controller, but i won't really be able to test it until i've got my stepper motors working.

i made a working prototype of the stepper driver on a breadboard, but then i had to go and upgrade everything and make some boards (with waterppk's help) before testing the design. so i'm using a different microcontroller for the drivers, with more complex code and more components on the board and i didn't test any of it before etching. don't ask me why the thing doesn't work... lol. actually, i tested the board a few days ago by putting an arduino in where the other micro (pic16f616) went and the thing worked fine. so i know it's my micro. whenever i have time to troubleshoot further i'll get it working. i'm working on a website with all the details and pictures. i'll post it here when i make it public.

i've attached a pic of the mechanical assembly. i'll get better pictures soon. ;)

Attachments:
File comment: CNC so far
PHTO0031.JPG
PHTO0031.JPG [ 149.32 KiB | Viewed 3005 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 pm 

I'm buying the makerbot gen3 electronics tonight, I'm going to mill an aluminum RepRap and run linear bearings/18" track that I have already, then I'll get it running and build parts for whoever wants them :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:06 pm 

Instead of using a dremel, you might want to consider using a flex-shaft machine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TT ... Z6NZD31NPZ

A flex-shaft provides significantly more power than a Dremel, but places even less weight on your gantry assembly. It's not as good as a router, but you can pick up some really good ones - up to 1/2HP - for not a lot of money on eBay.

Alternately, I have a Craftsman plunge router that's free for the taking. The chuck has gone kaput, but aside from that, it's a perfectly functional plunge router.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:44 pm 

My RepRap frame is getting much closer, I have the X and the Y done. I need to get a Z axis fabricated next and work from there. It's looking like I'll have at least a 14" x 14" build surface and enough stiffness for light machining (plastic, probably aluminum with a nice sharp bit and a little at a time).

I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I have it moving :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 pm 

Got the RepStrap working! It's purely a milling machine until I get the extruder parts assembled and working, but for now there is much to learn getting Skeinforge running and the updated firmware working as expected.

More Pictures

There are lots of zip-ties on the last minute add-ons to get it running, like the dremel and the electronics, but otherwise it's pretty solidly built.

Attachments:
File comment: Yep, it's a monster. . .
DSC09734.JPG
DSC09734.JPG [ 337.97 KiB | Viewed 2877 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Made the Makerbot Blog!

Attachments:
Makerbot Post.png
Makerbot Post.png [ 599.99 KiB | Viewed 2856 times ]

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]