It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Sound reactive leds/ electroluminescence
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:52 pm 

I was wondering if I have the electricity going to a bass speaker go through a relay and I have
the other part of the relay that restricts the electricity unless the bass speaker is producing noise
([sarcasm]I know my terminology really well[/sarcasm])hooked up to electroluminescent wire or a
string of leds will light up whenever the bass speaker is on?
Also how hard would it be to achieve the a/c current required for electroluminescence in a car?

Post subject: Re: Sound reactive leds/ electroluminescence
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:37 pm 

Not entirely sure how to answer the first part of your question, but as far as EL in a car is concerned, it is a pretty simple process as long as you get parts that are designed for computers. Both run on 12v DC, so AC-DC converters are normally included if necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 pm 

Yeah sorry about that, I don't really know all the lingo or names for everything, let me find a picture.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9930/myidea.png
Ok I modified that from a howstuffworks example but that is pretty much so what I am thinking.
( I am more of a visual person )
Would that work so that the light would turn on when the bass speaker is making sound?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:01 am 

Couple of things :-)

If you're trying to have lights on if the bass speaker is enabled, then you can use a double pole single throw relay, this relay actually has two sets of contacts in it, so one of them will power your lights while the other one passes audio through to the speaker. The only problem I can anticipate with this is that your speaker might pop/boom when connect/disconnect it from the amplifier using the relay - this is something you'd have to just build and try it. But this would be very easy to build/add to your audio set up, it would cost ~$10 buying parts from Radioshack

If you want lights that react to bass and light/dim as the sound intensity varies than you'll need a more sophisticated controller. There are several ways of doing this, they vary from using a microphone to detect noise intensity to a circuit directly connected to the audio headed to the speaker. There are circuits available online (and products you could just buy that would also work)

If you could specify which way you're looking to go we could probably help further.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:49 pm 

I think I would do the first one, thanks for all of your help.
When I get this done I will post pictures however I probably won't have time
to do it until the next major school break.

Thanks for all of your help. All of you who helped.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]