It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Ultimate Sailing Cooler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:16 am 

I'm in the process of creating the "Ultimate Sailing Cooler". The motivation for this is just to have the most technologically advanced cooler that ever existed. It will be used mostly for sailing small dingy boats.Image

Phase 1: Install Stereo Equipment and Electronics Compartment (In Progress)

I completed this over the weekend. Bought some cheap marine speakers and a DIY Class T amp board online. Hooked up to a 12v battery. The electronics are partitioned off from the rest of the cooler by a modified cutting board. Everything is sealed with silicone. All connections are just soldered and heat shrinked for the moment. Later, as it gets more finalized I will probably add connectors. Sounds great to far, but nothing to too technologically advanced. Input is from a small MP3 player.

Phase 2: Heads Up Display, GPS, Temp Monitor (Parts Ordered)

Arduino will run the whole thing. I have never done Arduino work before, so I am excited to get my hands dirty. Inputs will be a couple temp sensors and a GPS module. Outputs are to a 20x4 character LCD that will be mounted on top of the cooler. GPS data will also be logged to an SD card so I can overlay all my sailing this summer onto google earth. LCD display will be heading, speed (knots), outside temp, cooler temp, battery life, and..... anything else I can think of. Maybe roll angle if I was adventurous and installed an accelerometer.

Phase 3: Solar Charging (Planned)
Adding a 10 W solar panel to the top. There isn't really a need for this, so of course it is a requirement for this cooler. It will also up the visible 'cool' factor

Phase 4: Connectivity (Out there)
I will probably add bluetooth, wifi, or cellular connectivity. Maybe I will set up a tether to my phone so the cooler becomes a wifi hotspot. I need to come up with some more ideas here.

Phase 5: Mobility (WAY out there)
If there is anyway I could make this move on its own, I might try. It will float, so I could add a propeller and a rudder system. Maybe some wheels and steering.

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Sailing Cooler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:16 pm 

Very cool project. Looks like you have a good plan as well. Will you just be using GPS for out putting current location, or do you plan on making tracks? It would be cool to download tracks and sync it up with weather info from the day to compare wind speed from the day and how long it took you to complete the same lap.

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Sailing Cooler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:16 pm 

Quick thought:

What about a Thermoelectric generator instead? You already have a partition with a temperature difference, all you would need to do is implement it properly. I don't know how much current you would get out of it, but you would need a battery and charging circuit with the solar panel as well.

Also, I would consider making a watertight top for the "dry side" as well. Otherwise it might not stay that way during transport.

Great project!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]