It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Phone Intercom interactions . . . Arduino Project??
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:59 pm 

I've walked my dog several times only to realize i forgot my keys exactly when the perimeter door latches behind me. The only thing I can do is either wait at a door for someone to let me in . . . or randomly call people via our intercom.

I would like to create a device that uses the condo's phone line intercom system to:

1. pick up the phone
    2a. wait 10 seconds then responds with the tone of "#,9"
    2b. wait to hear the password of 4 preset tones, then responds with the tone of "#,9"
    3. then hangs up

( 2a, 2b, could be a toggle switch from "Password" mode to "I'm having a party and I don't want to stop to buzz everyone in" mode )

BONUS: I would also love for this device to use the phone line's supplied voltage for power.

Does anyone know where i should start on this project? References? Resources? Interested in helping me with this?

Post subject: Re: Phone Intercom interactions . . . Arduino Project??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:55 am 

Possibly Arduino, but the one that fair leaps to mind is the open-source Asterisk PBX project.

If you have a box running anyway... hook it up to answer the phone and let it direct your calls.
(You can buy an enterprise module for that, but several years back now I had success with a Linksys
SPA3192 Voice Gateway.) I'd think "if there's already a Linksys product which does that," (and I have
no interest in sparking an Arduino religious war here), that's a strong sign to save development effort
for a different Ard project.

My project then was to answer a phone after-hours, take a message for any of several groups,
and after-caller-hangup, dial group members round-robin style and deliver the (recorded MP3) message
or re-queue the call for later.

Additionally, since I had it anyway, group members got an email immediately with the MP3 as
an attachment.

I interpreted your post to mean you wanted to "phone a box to help you", presumably from your cellphone.
Asterisk is fun to program, because it's different from what you normally do, but deceptively simple
because it is more powerful than first look would suggest.

BTW, having got it working and making the presentation, "colleagues" couldn't see any "value-added" which
my boss did not challenge. Fair enough. On to the next windmill charge...

Post subject: Re: Phone Intercom interactions . . . Arduino Project??
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 am 

Though my exploration I've found this site with useful electrical schematics . . . and here's the one for phone projects.
http://www.electronics-project-design.com/phone.html

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]